by Jeff Skinner
1. The coverage of the WGC Cadillac Championship was cruising along when suddenly all hell broke loose. Tiger had withdrawn and was on a golf cart heading to the parking lot. Cops and EMT’s were there attending to him as he sat in his car and then took off down the highway. Next thing we see is an over head blimp shot of Tiger’s car and the scene looked like it was OJ’s highway chase all over again. The absolute insistence of the networks to cover Tiger, and his every move is ridiculous. You can’t make this stuff up.
2. I don’t know what looked more painful: Bubba’s front nine or Tiger’s Achilles.
3. Cheers to George McNeill for finishing with a flourish, 3 birds, to take the Puerto Rico Open. And to Ryo Ishikawa for his second place finish.
4. A nice catch and a sweet Tweet by Rick Reilly, “Cadillac must’ve loved NBC’s blimp shots of Tiger driving off in his slick Benz at the Cadillac WGC.”
5. What a week for Donald Trump. The Donald buys Doral and gets a WGC event. The Puerto Rico Open is played on another of his courses and he announces that Gil Hanse will renovate the Blue Monster. Hanse promptly announces he is moving to Brazil to work on the Olympic course. I guess he had enough of Trump already.
6. Once again Bubba Watson and the boys prove that no lead is safe on a Sunday on the PGA Tour. Maybe the place to be on Sunday is a few strokes back.
7. Keegan Bradley may have his spitting under control but he is still plays at a snail’s pace. He is getting tough to watch.
8. Loser or no loser… Bubba’s iron into 18 was sweet. But you have to make the putt.
9. You aren’t a folk hero until you are immortalized in song. Now Rory McIlroy is officially a folk hero. Check out the Corrigan Brothers and their ode to Rory courtesy of Jay Busbee at Devil Ball Golf.
10. Justin Rose, like most every other professional golfer out there, is the direct opposite of Tiger when it comes to the media and the public. He’s open, honest and thoughtful. He’s one of the good guys.