By Jeff Skinner
1. This past week Paul Goydos served as a host on The Golf Channel’s Morning Drive and he did a great job. He’s honest and funny, not shy about his opinions and has a wonderfully weird way of looking at things.
2. Great Sunday for Rickie Fowler. You have to love this kid. He plays quick, works the ball like Trevino and acts like a pro. His win makes all four of ‘The Golf Boys’ PGA Tour winners. Oh no, here comes another music video.
3. John Huh and Bud Cauley have earned their way into The Players Championship with both rookies having great seasons. Cauley is from Jacksonville so maybe he’ll get some home field advantage at Sawgrass.
4. There’s so much discussion about Tiger’s old swing, new swing and old habits versus new habits and “feeling uncomfortable.” Maybe it’s just that he is human after all.
5. So Ryan Moore gets assessed a penalty for his ball moving on the green as he was preparing to putt. Moore was as surprised as the rest of us to hear there wasn’t really an effective rule change after all.
6. I beat Tiger up for blowing off his pre-tournament press conference at Quail Hollow but here’s an interesting number. Over the years Tiger has had 1,076 press conferences as compared to 322 for Phil Mickelson. He still should have attended.
7. Good to see Fred Funk finally win after a two year drought. Funk has had a tough three years as he battled a staph infection, had a knee replaced and needed two thumb surgeries. Freddy is one of the good guys and this is a sweet win for him.
8. Quail Hollow is one great golf course and it’s too bad we have to wait until the 2017 PGA Championship to see a major there.
9. D.A. Points was the old man in the playoff at 35. Rory turned 23 on Saturday and Rickie is 23 also. There’s no problem with the future of the PGA Tour.
10. Rory must have had his Cheerios for breakfast this week. He led the field in driving with an average of 330 yards and he was scary long on Sunday. His three wood off the tee in the playoff went 339 yards, well past the drivers of Fowler and Points. That’s just sick.
Bonus. Cheers to Rickie Fowler for mentioning his old teacher, Barry McDonnell who passed away last summer, classy, very classy.
Bonus. Congrats to this year’s World Golf Hall of Fame Inductees. Phil Mickelson, Hollis Stacy, Dan Jenkins, Sandy Lyle and Peter Alliss will be inducted in tonight’s ceremony. We can see some of the festivities on The Golf Channel tonight at 10:pm EST.
Bonus. For me the highlight of the weekend was getting to see Jack, Arnie, Gary and Lee tee it up along with the other “Greats of the Game.” Today’s players are amazingly talented and a thrill to watch but nothing compares to watching those guys. It doesn’t get any better than that and I hope we’ll see them all there again next year.