by Jeff Skinner
Super Bowl Weekend always brings some extra excitement to us all and this year was no different. From Phil’s “Almost 59” to Flacco to Beyonce to the blackout and everything in between it was one wild, bizarre weekend.
1. Phil Mickelson started with a disappointing 60 on Thursday. Yes, after that gravity defying lip out of his stayed on the lip and denied him a 59 you have to call 60 disappointing.
2. Phil raved about his driver all week and rightly so. He was hitting it long and straighter than he has in years. If that keeps up Phil will be a threat anywhere he tees it up this season.
3. Props to Jeff Klauk, one of the feel good stories of the week. Klauk was able to finish T16 at Phoenix in his third start of the year after coming back from brain surgery for epilepsy. He needs to earn over half a million dollars to keep his card for next year. Let’s hope he can keep it going.
4. Brandt Snedeker is a force on the PGA Tour. He had two wins last season as he cashed the $10 million FedEx Cup check and this season he has two seconds and a third in four starts. And he plays fast, I mean real fast. He’s a model for all players to follow.
5. What a crazy Super Bowl! It was a blowout, then boring, then a blackout, then a comeback. Truly one of the most bizarre and exciting games in Super Bowl history.
6. The Ravens and 49ers weren’t the only ones playing football this weekend. Paddy Harrington put his soccer foot to good use at the 16th hole at TPC Scottsdale. It’s obvious he has some leg as he boomed some mighty kicks into the crowd.
7. Thank god the NFL finally went off script and got someone under fifty to perform. Beyonce was great, even for an old man like me. But do you think that all that concert style lighting, pyrotechnics and equipment may have had something to do with the blackout?
8. All week the Harbaugh Brothers were at the center of attention and rightly so, what are the odds brothers coach against each other in the Super Bowl. While their mom and dad reveled in the glory of their sons accomplishments, watching one of them take a hard defeat like that couldn’t have been easy. Reports were that mom and dad sat silently in Goodell’s box all game not uttering a word. Maybe if Jim lost to someone other than his brother it would have been easier on them.
9. Here’s a toast to all those caddies that took part in the “Caddy Races” at the 16th. It’s tough enough to tote that fifty pound bag around all day but then to sprint 150 yards to the green? You have to be crazy.
10. Finally the funniest moment at the wild and crazy 16th hole had to be rookie John Hahn’s birdie celebration. Hahn went all Gangnam Style and had the house rocking.