10 Things I Think…Masters Style
by Jeff Skinner
1. It was great to see fast playing Angel Cabrera and Brandt Snedeker playing the way we all should. See the shot, pick the club, swing the club. No wasted time at all. If they had gone out first instead of last it would have been under 4 hours.
2. So Bubba Watson and Kevin Na both take 10’s on the par three twelfth hole. So all hope is not lost, I can play like these guys.
3. The only thing more disappointing than Phil Mickelson’s performance was the dismal showing by Rory McIlroy.
4. Everyone in golf has to be happy for Adam Scott. For years he carried the burden of being majorless and after the 2012 Open Championship debacle his burden grew heavier. This was sweet redemption for the popular Aussie.
5. So if Angel Cabrera doesn’t understand English what was Snedeker saying to him yesterday?
6. Luke Donald made some noise Sunday with a shot from the bunker on 16 that curled back into the hole a la Davis Love and Tiger Woods.
7. Was it pathetic how Nantz, Feherty and Faldo kept on “cheering” for Tiger? It seemed like every shot, even deep into the back nine was critical for him “to get back in it.” Are you serious? He was toast after the front nine.
8. Cheers to the 14 year old Tianlang Guan for beating plenty of golfers, all those that missed the cut, and three professional that played the weekend. He displayed poise beyond his years, even when hit with the slow play penalty. And props to The Masters for having the good sense to include international amateurs in the field.
9. A few more props for the young Guan…he went all week without one three putt. On those greens…are you serious!
10. Not to be a kill-joy, but Scott has to dump that putter (even with those two great finishing putts) and get back to a short stick so he can develop some feel. Try Kuchar’s method.
11. Angel Cabrera reminds me of a that guy that shows up looking for a good game and leaves with everyone’s cash.
12. Props to John Huh for a final round 68 and sneaking up for a T11 and an invite back next year.
13. Tiger’s illegal drop threatened to overshadow The Masters and if he had won the controversy would have followed him forever. Maybe he should have been disqualified, maybe not but the cries from the likes of Norman and Feinstein and the rest for him to withdraw were comical. Tiger will withdraw from a tournament due to a sportsmanship issue when Kim Kardashian stops looking in the mirror.
14. And how about Nick Faldo ripping Tiger for not being DQ’d on The Golf Channel and by the time CBS went on the air he was all right with the decision. Funny how that worked out.