by Jeff Skinner
1. I can’t imagine how proud Tony Perez (Pat’s dad) feels as he introduces him at Torrey Pines. Tony has been the official starter there for years and Pat grew up on the course.
2. It is crazy how long these pros can hit it. Nicolas Colaserts hit his driver 365 yards on eighteen today.
3. If Stacy Lewis feels snake bit lately here’s why: Per Randall Mell, Lewis has been beaten by a birdie or an eagle on the eighteenth hole four different times in the last four months.
4. Props to K.J. Choi for coming out of the pack, shooting 66, jumping up 25 places, giving the boys a target to shoot at and oh yea, for being classy, always classy.
5. Jordan Spieth didn’t look himself and with good reason… he played the last 2 and a half rounds on a bum ankle. His official diagnosis, “it’s pretty messed up.”
6. How odd was it with no Tiger Woods (8 wins here) and no Phil Mickelson (3 wins here)? Let’s hope this doesn’t become a habit.
7. Stallings, DeLaet, Day, Leishman, Ishikawa… plenty of good, young names on the top of that leaderboard.
8. This may sound crazy but with youngsters like Jessica Korda, Lexi Thompson and Lizette Salas that makes Stacy Lewis and Paula Creamer the “older Americans” of the LPGA.
9. Scott Stallings is now one of six players under 30 with at least 3 PGA Tour wins: Dustin Johnson (8), Rory McIlroy (6), Webb Simpson (4), Keegan Bradley (3) and Anthony Kim (3)…yea remember him? Good for Scott.
10. I know it’s early in the season but I have had enough of Sir Freakin Nick Faldo already.