by Jeff Skinner
1. After a wild week at Trump National Doral I think it is safe to say that the combination of The Donald’s Money and Gil Hanse’s Talent produced a new, challenging and memorable golf course. Sure there is a bit of tweaking needed and Gil & Trump will make them but to think that all those changes came in less than one year is impressive.
2. They may have crowned the winner on Sunday buy my favorite day of the tournament was that windblown Friday. Golfer after golfer found new ways to look like a weekend hacker. 113 balls hit the water that day and it was fun to watch those guys. Balls in the water hazards…that something we all can relate to.
3. For the week The New Blue Monster collected 318 new golf balls from those PGA Tour pros. I think it was Arron Oberholser of the Golf Channel that said that Doral’s Pro Shop will lead the nation in golf ball sales. Good one, Arron.
4. Another week on the PGA Tour and it’s another injury problem for Tiger Woods. Each week there are more questions than answers surrounding Woods and Augusta is coming up fast.
5. Inbee Park has found the winner’s circle again as the world number one pocketed a Ladies European Tour win. Park won three majors last season and was one of the great stories of the year in 2013.
6. Nobody had more fun this week than The Golf Channel’s Charlie Rymer. He was living it up at Trump’s place from the ride in Trump’s helicopter to all the free food Charlie was living the high life. And to top it off one of Rymer’s Yellow Jackets wins in Puerto Rico. Chesson Hadley, a Georgia Tech grad wins his first PGA Tournament and no one is prouder than Rymer.
7. We all know that Phil Mickelson uses these tournaments as real tune ups for his game. Augusta is his main focus this time of year, we know that. But it wasn’t too cool for him to come out and say it mid-tournament. He said he wasn’t worried about his score and he was working on things. Ouch.
8. It is good to see Bubba Watson playing competitive golf again. He is more focused and dedicated this season and it has paid off big time. He finally got his first win since the Masters at The Northern Trust and he has tied for second twice, took a tie for ninth sandwiched around that win. That’s great golf and the game is more interesting when Bubba plays well.
9. A week spent with Donald Trump could be a harrowing experience for many. But Trump was the perfect host at his new digs. The course lived up to the hype and the Cadillac Championship was an interesting tournament. Even with that hat pulled down tight to protect that million dollar comb-over The Donald had a good week, any week with all that publicity is a good week for Trump.
10. Patrick Reed has put himself in the conversation for hottest golfer and maybe even best young American golfer with his three wins in seven months. But…and yes there’s a but… he doesn’t need to tell us how good he is. He should let us tell him how good he is. Humility Patrick, try it on.