by Jeff Skinner
1. Is there anyone more fun to watch then Rory McIlroy right now? The kid drives it a mile, hits Nicklaus like long irons, has a short game like Phil and putts like Tiger in his prime. And he’s polite, honest and cheerful and almost too good to be true.
2. Lee Westwood is disappointed with is T2 finish at The BMW but for a guy that once swore off the FedEx Cup it sure agrees with him. He’s gone T5, T13 and T2 in the first three events.
3. Vijay Singh had a great run for three and a half days. The 49 year old stumbled on his back nine and it cost him a trip to the Tour Championship.
4. I know Chubby Chandler still has a great stable of players but he has to be thinking that Rory is the really big one that got away. And Rory has flourished since leaving Chandler and concentrating on the PGA Tour.
5. Cheers to Robert Garrigus and Ryan Moore for playing their way into the Tour Championship from below the top thirty players.
6. Tears for last year’s FedEx Cup Champ, Bill Haas and Kyle Stanley for falling out of the top thirty and missing out on a trip to East Lake.
7. With a week off before the Tour Championship Rory McIlroy will be chilling with the New York Knicks this week. His trainer also trains the Knicks and asked Rors if he wanted to work out with them and he’s game for the challenge.
8. We haven’t seen domination like Rory’s, if I can call it that, since Tiger was stepping on everyone’s throats. And Rory does it with a smile not a scowl.
9. If the past few weeks is any indication the Ryder Cup is going to be absolutely wild. Rory, Lee, Ian Poulter and Sergio Garcia are playing so well. Americans Tiger, Phil, Dustin Johnson, Bubba Watson are killing it and even Jim Furyk got into it this week with an ninth place finish.
10. He may have missed the Ryder Cup but Rickie Fowler earned his way into his first Tour Championship. Ryder Cup aside, Fowler had a win this year and a trip to East Lake, overall, not a bad finish to the season.
Extra Point. How about John Huh being the only rookie to make it to the Tour Championship? Huh has a win this season and by making to East Lake he gets in to all the majors, WGC’s, Arnie and Jack’s tourneys and a host of others. Huh is a 2011 Q-School graduate and since Q-School no longer gets a player on The PGA Tour he’ll be the last to do it. That’s a shame.
Extra Extra Point. So Paula Creamer is finally poised to break her two win victory drought but misses a par putt on the 72nd hole of the Kingsmill Championship and finishes tied with Jiyai Shin. But then the eight hole playoff goes on so long it screws up my NFL watching (49er’s Packers was a great game) and because of darkness they have to continue it today. That’s real tough.