by Jeff Skinner
1. Something is amiss in the universe. There is a disturbance in the force young Skywalker. The King of embellishment, Donald Trump has hired the Masters of Minimalism. Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw have been tabbed by The Donald to design a new Trump course in Virginia. For Trump to sign this team who believe in a naturalistic approach is indeed a departure for Trump who has made his name on making sure everything is over the top…including his hair.
2. Inbee Park is having the best season of any golfer, male or female, on the planet. She’s number one in the world and has three wins including the first LPGA major of the year. Tiger also has three wins but no major…advantage Park.
3. Props to Billy Horschel not only for his first win and his fine start to the season (5 top tens in 12 starts) but for that Adam Scott/Tiger Woods like celebration when he drained the winning putt on eighteen. It looked like he was the Hulk about to burst out of his shirt. Great stuff, great stuff.
4. In the ongoing battle between the ruling bodies of golf the PGA of America has taken a shot at the R&A for holding championships at clubs that ban women. Seems more like politicians going at it than golfers.
5. If you’re interested in seeing the life of a PGA Tour player outside of the ropes CBS has a treat for you this Saturday. They are airing a one hour special on May 4th at 2pm ET called “Seven Days presented by Mercedes Benz.” There will be off the course footage of Graeme McDowell, Russell Henley, Martin Kaymer, Rickie Fowler, Scott Langley and Justin Rose.
6. Golf fans love to watch Bubba Watson pull that pink driver out and take that huge rip at the ball. But many would be surprised to learn that Bubba only ranks seventh in driving distance. Nicolas Colsaerts leads the tour at 305.8 yards and five others sit ahead of Bubba who averages 300.7.
7. There’s a solid field at this week’s Wells Fargo Championship and we’ll get to see Phil Mickelson for the first time since his Masters disappointment. Since his win at the Waste Management Open in six starts he’s managed only one top ten. Maybe that arthritis affects him more than he lets on.
8. Greg Norman says that the state of drug testing in golf is “disgraceful” and is calling for the tours to institute a blood test for the players. He cites Vijay Singh’s still unresolved case as an example that there is a need for more testing. With golf back in the Olympics those players should get used to being blood tested.
9. If it is Tuesday that means the A Team at The Morning Drive gets the day off and the B team takes over and with that Ahmad Rashad is back. Fortunately for me lately, I haven’t been able to catch much of The Drive with today’s group. After watching this morning I see some things haven’t changed. Rashad is still terrible and brings down the entire show.
10. Still nursing a Masters Hangover? Take a look and see how the real high rollers of the corporate world spend their days at Augusta National during Masters Week. Private hospitality buildings that house thousand of VIP’s with top of the line food, beverage and plenty more. Click here for Gary Van Sickle’s behind the scenes look at the best kept secret at The Masters.